The tradition in Mendoza is to take a bus out to Mapu and ride bikes around to the various vineyards in the area tasting and in the end hopefully successfully riding your bike back...Well, I am thinking I will be riding in a beautiful tree lined dirt road going a couple of miles here and there to lush yummy vineyards...Yep...not so much...the main road was under construction and filled with large trucks going so fast they could have knocked me off the road either with their speed or black exhaust kick back...the vineyards were miles apart and the wind was blowing so hard it was hard to peddle my wobbley, crooked bike...BUT...I will say I did the whole adventure with a lovely couple from Australia and they were a blast...we all took it in stride and wound up having a fantastic day...we even managed to find some lovely tree lined roads with very little traffic!
The first vineyard we hit had a great museum and some awesome Malbec. When we were done there we headed off to the furthest one on the list so that we could head back with the wind at our back...well...we didn´t quite make it...the 11 Kilometers seemed to take hours so we instead pulled into the 7th to the last...it was a lovely location and the oldest one on the route which made it even more special. We tasted some lovely wines and eached walked away with a bottle of their secret potion...I will be bringing it back to the states for a tasting Minnesota friends and family! Yeah, I know you are all thinking what are the names of the wines lily...yep...forgot...sorry.
After our second tasting we were ready for food...we heading back towards our starting point and our lunch destination. We zoomed along the road (wind now to our backs) and pulled into a gated road...damn...closed...however we tried the buzzer for the hell of it and the large gate slowly creeked open...behind it was a lovely estate with a private restaurant with a "fancy" lunch as they put it...we shared a lovely meal, kicked back a bottle of Malbec and headed back to deliver our bikes...
I will say it was a lovely way to celebrate USA Turkey Day!


No comments:
Post a Comment