Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Ends of the Earth...

Monday night after I jumped out of the van I made my way to Hostel Betty, run by an elderly woman (who spoke no English) and had a lovely little house. I actually felt like I was staying at my grandmothers...it was exactly what I needed. There was no one else there so I got a double room by myself with a tv in it (only 15 bucks) and made myself at home. I even got to take a BATH!!! It was totally perfect!! I even got to wash my underware...yep, things get a bit rough traveling and most of my clothes could walk on their own by now, my hair is hanging on by a thread (dry, unbrushed and most of the time dirty as hell...sarah I think I have beat you with the amount of days dirty), beauty is something I have put to the wayside just letting that natural charm shine through!!!

Monday morning I caught a morning flight to Punta Arenas at the bottom of Chile across from Terra Del Fuego! To my fantastic luck I met an incredible couple from Columbia...they have been wonderful! They are both artists and are totally cool...Nancy and Rene...we may be traveling in Torres Del Paine...but we are leaving that up in the air at this point.

After we crashed the tourist office and picked their brain we headed out for a fantastic seafood lunch...I had Seabass...totally awesome!

We all stayed at a lovely little hostel called Hostel Del Reys (my little room was donned with not one but TWO lovely posters of the Last Supper...I felt truly blessed)
After I was all set at the hostel I headed out to see the sites...the Penguins being the main ones...but I have to say that the two most defining factors about this place are first, most doorknobs are in the center of the doors and that second, the trees look like that have a bad comb over (pictures to come)...and the wind...well, it will knock you off your feet...but look at this little dude...
look at these cute little ones...

Then Wed. morning (which is actually today, sorry to be confusing) I grabbed an early bus to Puerto Natales. This is the closest city to Torres Del Paine the biggest park in Patagonia. Tomorrow I head off on a 4 day trek on the "W" path...I believe this journey might kick my butt. I will have to camp or stay at a refugios, not sure which at this time...because like I said I am flying by the seat of my pants.

I have to go now because I have to go get supplies and rent my gear...listen to me "gear"...honestly that is the last thing I thought I would be saying 3 months ago walking down 5th Ave in New York City clad in my 2 inch heels and chating (rather bluntly) on my nice white cell phone ...boy life can certainly change!

3 comments:

sarah said...

stand down--NO ONE has dirtier hair than me!(it's actually clean right now....)

mrsgreen said...

Hello Lily, I am really enjoying reading your blog. I think that Dan and I actually ate at the same restaurant in your first photo - La Luna? Here's our photo http://www.pbase.com/dgsc/image/2033456
We ate there almost every night and loved the pisco sours!
I can't wait to hear about your W trek...

Bree O'Connor said...

Hey Love!
I've been following along here and it seems like this adventure has done so much for you! It's very inspiring! Not to mention the pictures make me so itchy to travel... I am just so happy for you!
Just wanted to send you some love from the Slope.

-b