Saturday, November 24, 2007

Over the mountains and through the hills









On Wed afternoon I headed across the boarder of Chile to Argentina. I said my goodbyes to Antonio and jumped aboard a bus for a 6 hour ride to Mendoza.

The views of the mountains were beautiful and would have been perfection...if the bus had not reeked of human poop...it was so disgusting...but... I stuck my scarf up around my nose and took the mountains in.

Half way to Mendoza we stopped at the boarder control to get our passports stamped and luggage checked. It was a pretty painless endevour...but speaking Spanish would have been a plus. After we boarded the bus and were about to depart the boarder control came back on and escourted me off...yep...that raised the hair on the back of my neck for a second...but I just kept smiling until I figured out what they needed...I not understood when they told us all in Spanish that we needed to have our passport stamped at 2 different counters before reboarding the bus...that was all...thank god they didn't find the drugs in my bag...JUST KIDDING!

After reboarding the bus they proceeded to put on the movie Gladiator...in spanish...didn't matterit sucked the first time I saw it in English so it was easy to ignore.

The trip was filled with flashes of things that were in my bag that was stolen ...but I quickly let the new found information glide off my shoulders and into the past...except one thing was a problem...my guide book. I had no idea where to stay in Mendoza when I arrived. So I quickly began looking around the bus for potential English speaking backpackers...and of course within minutes I found 3...an Aussie, an Irish and incredibly enough, a Peruvian.

By the time we arrived in the Mendoza I had all the information I needed. I shared a cab with the Peruvian girl heading towards the recommended hostle, Independencia. Another successful journey guided by the kindness of strangers...

I hope my luck holds out in that department... because tomorrow... Buenos Aries here I come...

No comments: