Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Flying by the seat of my pants...North

I must start this blog entry by saying...for anyone that has been paying attention to the news...no, I was not in the 7.7 earthquake that hit northern Chile...however, I did miss it by just a few hours. I am currently and safely in Valparasio! Whew close one!

Here is the lowdown...

On Monday evening I departed from lovely Patagonia back to the real world. I was unsure where I was going to go...back to Puerta Mott...to Puerta Varas...Santiago...not sure... I figured it would work itself out, as all my adventures have thus far...I couldn´t have been more right. That is something that I think I have finally figured out on this trip...trust that it will all work itself out in time...but... you have to allow the time. That is something that my lack of patience has often crushed in the past.

So, I arrived in Puerta Mott airport at 9:30pm and found myself standing in front of the taxi sign along side a young woman (I later learned was named Celine and from France).

"Are you going to Puerta Varas?" She asked

"I dont know...are you....?" I replied

"I don´t know...why, are you...?" she said slowly

"I hear it is prettier then Puerta Mott" I responded

"Wanna go..." she said

"ahhh, sure..." I said with a shrug

"Want to share a taxi"

"ahhh, sure...why not."

...and that was it. We jumped into a taxi and headed North towards the little village of Puerta Varas. 30 minutes later we arrived...names exchanged and set on finding a hostel together because it was dark and 2 are stronger then one. We quickly found a nice location and tied down for the night.

The next morning Celine asked if I wanted to join her on a trek to a National Park about an hour away. There was suppose to be some amazing views of volcanoes. She also informed me that she was heading North to Valparasio at 8:30pm and asked if I wanted to join her (please note this is a 14 hr bus ride overnight). hmm...Sure...why not...what did I have to lose...I had no plan and we had found out the evening before that the combination of my map reading and her spanish made for a good traveling team. I quickly said "Sure, why not"...I must say there is nothing like having the ability to do that...not hem and haw about well, if I go there then I can´t do this...or... if I do that I should do this first...nope...just plane 'ole SURE...very freeing...have to figure out how to bring that mentality into daily living in the States...I believe it is possible.

After securing our tickets to Valparasio and getting a little picnic lunch we headed out for a trek in the national park that was about an hour out of Puerta Varas. We had an absolutely beautiful day! We crused on the beaten path for about an hour and then made our own...yep... that got a bit hairy at times but proved to be the best option in the end...some wet feet and dirty pants but damn good pictures in the end.

(shut up I am trying to be arty)



...At about 7pm we arrived back in Puerta Varas...shared a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers at the waters edge...then jumped on our 14 hour bus excusion...It was lovely...I have never been treated so well on a bus...they actually had an attendent who brought a pillow, blanket, closed your curtain when you were alseep and when you woke handed you a coffee...pretty damn nice..made the 14 hours slide by without much notice.

At 10:30am we arrived in Valparasio...a lovely and colorful port city...we made our way to a guide book recommended Hostel (YUCK)...searched out an alternative (perfecto) and then settled in.


There is not much more adventure past that...we walked around the city (I think the entire city)...saw some sites, made a homemade tuna meal...actually... let me clarify Celine ate green beans and bacon...which all of you who love me know that bacon is not my favorite item of choice...I ate a tuna sandwhich and we both drank some wine (a bit more then some wine)...then crashed dead tired from all the walking or maybe it was from all the wine...here are some closing photos...

the street we are staying on...or I should say alley...no side street...no nook...or or maybe side passage way...


our hostels front door...


Celine and I after a couple a glasses of wine...(he, he, he)

No comments: