Monday, October 1, 2007

Back on Track...


A shout out to Jessie and Kristian Boweak for the farm animal donation...it has been great for English lessons and the kids LOVE to play with them!!



Yesterday I headed back up to my project (after two days sick leave) with two additional volunteers in tow. I talked so highly about the kids and the center that I was able to enlist an additional 2 volunteers to make the trek with me, trust me they are needed...with 60 kids running around 2 adults is not enough!

It was wonderful to get to the top of the scramble and have a dozen kids run down (almost knocking me off the cliff) screaming "Profa Lili!" and covering me with snotty kisses and huge hugs! A totally fabulous feeling.

We began the day with a new cleaning ritual...which the other volunteers and I are going to try to make a daily thing ...but we shall see if we can win that battle. So, with the utmost patience I individually cleaned (with baby wipes, because they have no running water) 60 rather slimy, dirty (cute as hell) baby faces. I was told by the other volunteers that several children came up to them and asked if I was a doctor...god they are cute! I don´t think I have ever seen such a mad rush to have your face and hands wiped clean and lotion slathered on (boys and girls alike). They took to it like a pig to mud...I went through the ENTIRE box of wipes and god know how many sample lotions.

After the cleaning ritual I handed out some of the donations I was able to bring with me...T-shirts and stuffed animals !!!! A generous and fantastic in kind donation from Classic Media, my former employers. The kids went CRAZY!! THANKS CLASSIC!!!

I couldn´t get everyone in the picture so here is one half (please note lack of smile does not mean lack of happiness... I think a bit is lost in translation when you tell them to say "cheese" before a photo)

and here is the other half of the kids...

Me with them...I love the determination to have the bunny in the center of the shot!

Here are some random happy campers...I could just take them all home!!




No comments: