Monday, October 29, 2007

Aguas Calientes and Ollyantantambo

I have to get you all caught up on the final leg of my Matchu Pitchu trip so that I can bring you up to date as to where I am now...OH, and I almost forgot I have to give a shout out to my brother Kelly and his wife, Courtney! THANK YOU SO much for all the equiptment you lent me! I don't think I could have done that hike without the walking sticks, stuff sacks, silk sleeping sheet and all the great advice you gave me!!

Ok...here we go...after the successfull climb up Waynapitchu I proceeded down to the lovely town of Aguas Calientes. I ate a huge meal, said goodbye to my fellow climbers and enjoyed a well derserved soak in the local hot springs...they were actually more luke warm, then hot...but regardless it felt good.

The next day I wandered around town until it was time to catch my 5pm train to Ollyantantambo. It was a nice relaxing day after my four day hike.

Here are a couple pictures of the town...



The 5pm vistadome train was an odd experience...the staff proceeded to put on a show in the aisle...which I thought was ok...but when they then started a fashion show...that was when it got a little strange...but boy did those old American tourists love it and they BOUGHT stuff too!!! It made me feel a bit uncomfortable...another walking wallet moment I guess...


I arrived in Ollyantantambo at 7pm and proceeded to my recommended hostel El Tambien, which wound up being BEAUTIFUL ...of course I didn't really see it until the morning...but what a view!

This is the main courtyard...the rooms were lovely...kind of like a little wooden farm house. I am starting to love these small little towns over the big cities...hmmm I guess the country girl is coming out of me.

This is the view from the hammock in the garden! There was a full moon when I arrived and I laid in the hammock and looked at it for about an hour...so relaxing!


I had a couple lovely meals and a FANTASTIC conversation with the owner of the Hearts Cafe. Her name is Sonja and she is a woman in her 60's from England. She came to Peru 2 years ago and fell in love with it. Then 7 months ago she opened the Hearts Cafe... which is a not for profit organization where all the funds from the cafe go to help support local woman and children. She is in the midsts of starting several programs that deal with birth control, spanish language class...because the local people only speak Quechuan...healthcare, a small school and much more. She was so incredibly inspiring...and selfless...i am determined to figure out how to help her and how to possibly work with her in the future. We discussed me doing some potential PR for her in the states and maybe...coming back at some point to do some volunteer work with her...she really planted some amazing seeds in my head...maybe I am getting closer to figuring out what I want to be when I grow up!

Then I was surprised to find out that they were having a dance festival in the middle of the town and all these amazing beautiful children where dressed up in traditional outfits doing their regional dances....it was AMAZING. Look at these beauties...






At about 2pm I headed in a local bus back to Cusco...what a trip!

No comments: