Monday, September 24, 2007

Sunday Futbol in Cusco

Sunday I had the awesome pleasure of watching my first live Futbol game (Soccer)! I LOVED IT!! It was so much fun! The tickets only cost 25 soles ($8), can you believe it! I went with a couple of the other volunteers from the Family House.

It was quite the action packed game that is for sure. It was Cusco vs. Municipal (I think that is what the other team was called?!), give me a break it was hard to even figure out if we were on the right side of the stadium! The Stadium was medium full but let me tell you the fans were die hard! I don´t think that the drums, fireworks or yelling stopped once through out the whole game.

At some point during the game we were surrounded by 3 young boys...we all thought at first they were there to pick pocket us...because they practically sat on our laps and there was a TON of empty seats around us...however...they just wound up being sweet boys who were curious about the only gringos in the stadium.

We bought them popcorn and candy and they coached us on all the fouls and ins and outs of the game. For example a whistle is a rousing sound that you do to distract the other team (at least that is what we tried to determine)not a sound of support for your team.

Cusco won 4 to 0 but not after having 2 of the other teams players kicked off the field...including the goalie! Can you believe it!

This is the ticket booth outside the stadium...


Benny, me and David (like my Cusco hat?)


Cusco home team!


Die Hard Fans!


Benny, the boys and me...aren´t they cute!


After goal #1


The stadium was crawling with police with full riot gear on! This is them protecting the opposing teams goalie when he was kicked out of the game in the last 10 minutes of the game. He supposedly kicked one of Cusco´s players during a play...I actually didn´t see it that way and believe it was a bad call by the ref...not that i would EVER say that to anyone from Cusco!


Final Score!


The loosing team being escorted off the field as Cusco supports throw food and other items at them...my goodness!

No comments: