Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Huychey Yachay "Little Ones"

My new project is going well...I got there all by myself yesterday without a hitch. Shortly after I arrived it hailed for about 10 minutes, crazy. I hope it never rains when I am up there. Not sure how I would get down if it did...slide I guess.

The kids are quite energetic to say the least, and I am having a bit of a time organizing them...difficult to do when you can´t understand what they are saying to you nor know how to communicate what you want them to do...BUT...I have organized many a plan for today and am hoping it will help. They want me to teach them some basic English...so I have made flashcards galore out of construction paper (I have found out that construction paper is an anomaly down here), lined up some songs ideas and random games to play.

I haven´t taught nor been creative with kids in such a long time that it has been quite the challenge remembering HOW to play and not need a perfect outcome. I am trying to put my uptight perfectionism to the side...and for any of you who know me well, you know that is quite the challenge for me! Live and learn right...I actually feel I am currently living the essence of those words on a daily basis.

Here are a couple pictures of the kids and the Community Center (Huycey Yachay)...







Now on a completely different note...a few trials and tribulations...it can´t always be a sweet ride, right?

- My living situation...the Family House has people going in and out of it all the time, which mind you does not bother me at all. BUT for some reason this week 75% of the occupants are under 25 and are involved in pretty juvenile antics...not quite what I was interested in being a part of during my stay. As much as I am not getting paid to work...it is some of the hardest and most tiring work I have done and when I get back I just want to be quite, do my homework and crash...nope not so much...lately I have been coming back to a riotous bunch of ridiculous conversations and drinking games...hmmm...I know... everything happens for a reason and I guess I am being tested on my tolerance and level of adaptability! This weekend I am going to go to a small town in the sacred valley for a little peace and quite...maybe sit in a hammock and stare at the mountains, I guess I never really thought of myself as a quite person...

- Street sellers...I swear I have NEVER been so accosted in my life! There is no way to say NO to these people. They will follow you for blocks, stand outside of stores until you come out and harass you until you almost pay them just to leave you alone. I find myself getting impatient and rude - which is NOT at all what I want to do, but "NO Gracias" SHOULD be enough, you would think. I have been told by many if I think this is bad I should go to India and/or Asia. I guess you could compare them to commericals on TV...it just bothers me that the rampid tourism is changing them into little capitalists...

- Rich Gringo...There appears to be an illusion that everyone who volunteers is rich ... this has been one of the most uncomfortable and difficult things for me to negotiate. There is such a huge misrepresentation, because of the extreme poverty...that all gringos have a ton of money. Yes, it is a fact, to them I am rich...but comparitively speaking in the US...I most certainly am NOT. The programs have been told time and time again that they are not to ask for money or materials and that the volunteers are their to give them their time...However...that unfortunately and understandable does not stop them. I believe a ton is lost in translation since they don't speak English and I don´t speak Spanish...but it is so uncomfortable to deal with because in reality $10 american dollars (30 soles) can feed alomost 30 kids one meal a day for 5 days... and for some that could be their only meal...

No comments: