Yesterday I had the pleasure of participating in my first orphanage project. San Judas is a Peruvian Government funded orphanage that is run by several nuns. There are approximately 45 girls. I met about 15 yesterday that were 4 to 9. No one spoke English so my participation with the children was slightly limited, but the few that did open up to me were extremely sweet. Sylvia (no picture yet)was the spunky one who insisted on pointing out my nose piercing several times...and she must have said something rather blunt or possibly rude because one of the girls told her off. I just smiled and acted as if I knew what was going on. Paloma was the one that made me feel the most at home. She is four years old and insisted I take pictures of her and the drawings we created together. She is so darn cute!? It is sad to know that someone had to abandon her because they couldn't´t afford to feed her.
Each child's case is so individual and you have no way of knowing the reason why they are there. I find it hard to believe with all these children in desperate need for love and a home the Peruvian government only allowed 25 US adoptions in 2006. For example there is a 27 year only man named Alex from the US who is currently staying at the Family House and has started the steps to adopt a 12 year old boy named Luis. However, because he is not 18 years older then Luis he most likely will be unable to make it work...and if it DOES work the adoption could take up to a year and cost him anywhere between 20,000 and 40,000 dollars. There has got to be a better way and I am determined to find the loop holes! How could you not when you look into Paloma´s adorable face!


No comments:
Post a Comment