Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Montezumas Revenge...not to be confused with the amusement ride!


Yepper I road the wave...the good old Montezuma Revenge - not to be confused with the rollercoaster ride at Knotsberry Farm - but rather extreme dehydration, headaches...and you know the yucky stuff I will refrain from writing (Please Note - this experience is when I learned you are to throw the toilet paper IN the wastebasket NEVER down the toilet...oops and YUCK). At least I am getting it out of the way quickly so I can enjoy the rest of my time here. I will say I had a rather pleasant stay at the emergency room, nice doctor, clean (but a bit chilly) and it was only 178 soles (approx. $57). But I am on the road to recovery and will have a much more upbeat and satisfying entry in the next day as I start in my assigned orphanage.

I will be working at a orphanage called San Judas with all girls ages 5 to 17. I also will be taking Spanish lessons everyday and on Saturdays I will be taking Salsa lessons (Yikes!). I have also offered to help at the woman's police department where they try to take care of arrested street children -they are in desperate need of companionship and basic care. We shall see - there is so much need in so many places I wish I could clone myself. I feel a bit overwhelmed but that is the stomach talking and all will be easier to grasp when I feel better.

P.S. Here is a picture of the Family House where I am staying with the rest of the volunteers.

No comments: