Wednesday, December 12, 2007

To Uruguay with love...

On Saturday December 9th I ventured across the river from BA to Colonia in Uruguay...only a short 1 hour boat ride. My last great adventure before departing from South American on Monday.

I was set to spend the day and return on the boat later in the afternoon...little did I know my destiny would turn in a way I would have never expected and leave me once again surprised by life's little charms...

I arrived early Saturday morning and was immediately struck by the quaint, quiet beauty of this little seashore town. Amazing how far away I felt from BA...but yet how near I was. I was immediately relaxed, calm and balanced...

I wandered through the cobbled streets,

peering into stores, reading menus from yet unopened restaurants...
And later in the afternoon followed the windy waters edge

resting on rocks, unearthing ancient bones,

sharing conversation, wine, a meal and a play...an agenda I never expected, built on the moments that happened through out the day...giving me once again incredible memories...

The play was a ballet recital for the end of the year performance. Little girls in tiny tutu's doing twirls with pointed toes and frozen smiles...older teens on tipy toes, leaping...some falling...so much talent...so much fun...I felt like I was home, comfortable and at peace...a constant smile on my face.

I didn't make my boat...instead I changed my ticket to the next morning and rented a little private room for the evening. It couldn't have been a more perfect end to my time in South America...I just wish it didn't have to be over...and I didn't have to leave...but I will never forget...sweet perfection.

The next morning I boarded the boat...once again, changed by my experiences and surprised by life's unexpected gifts.

No comments: